Questions for Churchill
by Ari Armstrong, March 17, 2005
In your March 8 Speakout in the Rocky Mountain News, you complain that "personal attacks" against you are refuted by facts "not reported in the media." Yet you squandered a perfect opportunity to make these facts known to the public. I hope you will submit another Speakout and specifically answer the following questions:
1. Did you lie about your ancestry to get a job at CU? Various American Indians allege you are a pretender. Please name a single ancestor of yours who is part Indian.
2. Did you plagiarize the work of others? Please note that it is not enough simply to deny that you plagiarized; you must respond to the specific claims against you.
3. Did you make up "facts" in various writings? (Please respond to specific allegations reported by the News.)
4. Did you steal the artwork of somebody else and sell it under your own name? It's obvious that "your" art was taken from another work, so please provide evidence, if there is any, that you had permission to sell the other artist's work as your own.
5. In your controversial essay, you write of the 9/11 attack, "If there was a better, more effective, or in fact any other way of visiting some penalty befitting their participation upon the little Eichmanns inhabiting the sterile sanctuary of the twin towers, I'd really be interested in hearing about it." You refer to that attack as an act of "humanitarianism," as "medicinal," as a "tonic," and as "reality therapy." You predict that terrorists will continue to "push back," perhaps with anthrax, mustard gas, sarin, or a "tactical nuclear device." You add, "As they should. As they must. And as they undoubtedly will. There is justice in such symmetry." How are those remarks consistent with your more recent claim that you do "not advocate" terrorism and you support "adherence to the Constitution and international law?"
You claim to favor free speech (except for supporters of Columbus Day), yet on the relevant issues you remain silent. Also, please don't change the issue by claiming I am one of the "right-wing media spinmeisters." Not only is it irrelevant, but it is in my case false, given I criticize right and left with comparable vigor.